Secretary/Administrative Assistant (Part-Time)
Peace Lutheran Church – Fremont, Indiana
Friendly People, Growing in Christ; Called to: Praise and Proclaim, Learn and Love, Care and Celebrate
The purpose of serving as Secretary/Administrative Assistant at Peace Lutheran Church is to glorify God by producing communications, helping coordinate events and performing general office duties for Peace Lutheran Church, its ministries and staff. This position reports directly to the Senior Pastor.
General Position Duties
In the area of Communications:
- Create, edit, print and oversee distribution of the weekly church bulletin under the direction of the pastor(s) and with information supplied from church staff and membership.
- Create, edit, and oversee distribution of weekly events page via print and online formats (e.g. Constant Contact).
- Create, edit, and oversee the production of PowerPoint slides to be used in worship and for informational purposes.
- Create, edit, print and oversee distribution of the monthly newsletter; receive and organize information from church staff and members; write and edit brief articles, and oversee printing, collating, electronic distribution and mailing.
- Manage physical and internet communication with staff and church membership regarding events, including postings in the bulletin, e-news, on bulletin boards, flyers, posters, electronic message boards, email marketing of events, group emails, etc.
- Verify accuracy of the church website and social media outlets, including posting events, photos, documents and other information.
- Prepare new membership packets, maintain Sunday service visitor listing, send letters to visitors and new members, and keep church staff informed of membership changes, etc.
- Maintain the web-based church calendar.
- Other tasks as assigned by Senior Pastor and/or Business Administrator.
In the area of Event Coordination:
- Assist in the scheduling of weddings and funerals under the direction of the pastor. This includes working with the families and arranging organists, sound technician, etc. Also includes organizing luncheons/meals and scheduling volunteers to work as needed.
- Assist pastor(s) as needed with scheduling other church events; arrangements and supplies for baptisms, confirmations, graduations, coffee hour, etc.
- Assist Business Administrator and other staff as requested with activities, arrangements, supplies, and volunteers and events throughout the ministries of Peace (e.g. Upward, Comfort Dog, etc.)
In the area of General Office:
- Act as receptionist and work collaboratively with staff and volunteers to ensure that visitors are greeted and phones are answered promptly.
- Manage bulk mailings using mail merge, maintain adequate postage, and keep up to date on postal regulations.
- Keep track of office supplies and inform Senior Pastor when orders are needed.
- Assist in ordering and securing altar flowers, candles and other worship items as needed.
- Schedule back-up volunteers to ensure that essential administrative duties are completed in absence.
- Perform other appropriate duties as assigned.
This position requires excellent people skills and patience. This position requires demonstrated excellence with computer skills, proven expertise in Microsoft Word, Publisher, and PowerPoint, and proficiency in the use of Excel, database, websites and social media.
A minimum of 2 years of prior experience in customer service and/or general office required, preferably in a church or non-profit organization.
- Must be highly efficient, organized, self-directed and able to complete multiple tasks on or ahead of schedule.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must have very good interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Must have the capacity to handle unexpected issues as they arise.
- Must complete work products with a high level of quality and attention to detail.
- Must have a strong work ethic and demonstrate professionalism, honesty, integrity, maturity and ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Willing to adjust duties and work schedule as required to support the needs of the organization.
- Experience with design and layout of communication pieces in both print and electronic formats.
- Experience with church membership software such as CCIS or equivalent database software.
- Experience with email marketing software such as Constant Contact or similar.
- College education in related field
Position requires working roughly 20 hours per week (some flexibility).